Every year, we get excited for November because it’s National Adoption Month — a month devoted to advocating for children who are waiting for permanent, loving families, and raising awareness about the continuing need for and issues surrounding adoption! We also take this month to celebrate adoption — showing how many people are connected to adoption in some way.
This year, we need YOUR help!
During this month, we come together as birth parents, adoptees, families, friends, neighbors, communities and organizations/businesses to celebrate, educate and promote awareness of adoption. For many, adoption is our family’s building blocks, our passion for our work, and for some, the essence of who we are. While for many, adoption is still a hope…
This year for National Adoption Awareness Month, the Children’s Bureau’s theme is “We Never Outgrow the Need For Family.”
So how are you celebrating?
Adoption.com has some really great ideas for how to celebrate, educate and promote awareness of adoption. Here are a few from their “30 days of ideas” to help get you started:
• Listen to Someone’s Story — Hearing someone else’s adoption story can be just as rewarding as sharing your own.
• Ask a Local Library to Display Adoption-Related Books
• Mentor Someone Aging Out of the Foster System
• Create a New Adoption Tradition
• Attend a Support Group/Workshop
• Advocate — Spread the word about adoption.
• Commit to Sponsor a Child for a Year
Celebrate Adoption Month!!